18 February 2013

A Wrap-Up

Last autumn I gave you a sneak preview of a wrap-around tunic I was working on at the time. I finished it eventually, but I haven't yet shown you the result.

The pattern for the tunic is from the book Simple Modern Sewing. 8 Basic Patterns to Create 25 Favorite Garments (Interweave). It's the tunic you can see on the cover. It's a fairly simple pattern, but I had some difficulties with it, as there were errors and vagueness in both the pattern and the directions. But with a little help and good advice from a colleague I finished it, and I'm pretty pleased with the result.



I added an intricate design in raw-edge reverse appliqué on the back:


It would have made a lot of sense to free-motion sew the appliqué, but I actually sewed it with the feed dogs up and an open-toed presser foot (appliqué foot), and a short stitch length. I wanted full control of the stitch length, to make sure that the appliquéd fabric won't fall apart when I wash the garment. It took me hours to sew the design, with a lot of lifting and lowering the presser foot in the curves, and then hours to carefully cut out the design, but it was doable. Here's a detail:



Now I'm working on this skirt. Again, I've made changes to the pattern, so it's slow work, but I've made good progress. My skirt will be in red and black with a Japanese theme. I hope I'll be able to show you images soon!

Have a great week, and thanks for visiting my blog! - Annika


No comments:

Post a Comment